Posts tagged ‘giving’
I will praise God’s name with singing and I will honor Him with thanksgiving…The humble will see their God at work and be glad. – Psalm 69:30, 32
Let us not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions. – 1 John 3:18
My goal this month is to find at least one thing each day to be thankful for, and to find a way of giving to someone, however small. I’ve been having fun so far this month on my way to this goal of living generously and gratefully. I think that as I give and give thanks, I see God’s work a little more readily – and this brings me great joy.
Here is a sampling of some of the things I’ve been thankful for the last couple weeks:
- An evening curled up with a book, a blanket, and a hot cup of tea
- A husband willing to talk things through, even when we disagree
- Modern technology that allows me to work from home – even in my pjs when I’m sick
- Sunlight sparkling on frost on the grass
- Answered prayers
- Worship music
- Freedom to vote
- God’s love and care for us, both here on earth and in heaven later
- Accomplished tasks
- Chance run-ins with friends
- The feeling of gliding down a hill on rollerblades
- Safety while traveling
- A yellow-leafed tree that was lit up by the sun peaking over the hilltop behind
- Our veterans and troops currently serving
- “Rediscovering” an old CD
To help me with my giving goal, I’m participating in the 30-Day Giving Challenge. Here are a few of the ways I’ve found to give over the last couple weeks:
- Purchased items for our local food bank, Thanksgiving food baskets being distributed by our church, and Christmas stockings for our troops overseas
- Gave extra time to my husband
- Picked up trash on our street after Halloween
- Emailed a friend I’ve not heard from in a while
- Went on a prayer walk around our neighborhood, praying for our neighbors
- Dropped off our shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child, filled with all kinds of goodies for children in poor nations
- Typed up quinoa recipes for a friend at church who was interested when I brought a dish in to a church function
- Donated some of my credits earned by mailing books to others through Paperbackswap.com to an intercity school in TX and a school near Binghamton, NY that had been flooded when Hurricane Lee passed over. These credits will be turned into books for their schools.
What are you thankful for today? What ways have you found to give?
Wow, I can’t believe it is November already! Where has the year gone? Halloween is over – the rush of kids at the door is done and the candy is (mostly) out of the house. I am now turning my attention to Thanksgiving.
I love this time of year! The season is changing (perhaps a little too fast with the early snow!) and I am starting to settle in for the colder, darker months, even if only in my heart since our schedule remains full. This is also the time when the anticipation begins for me of the holiday season – a time of family, friends, food, and fun. Sure, it brings a measure of stress with it, but the wonder and excitement override that.
This year, though, I don’t want November to be simply the runway for the holidays. I want to live intentionally this month, leading up to Thanksgiving, whose name encapsulates how I want to live – with thanks and giving.
So often, I race through life, rarely pausing long enough to notice the many blessings in my life, much less thank God, the One responsible for them. In the same way, I’m often too rushed or preoccupied with my own life to notice those around me, be they strangers or loved ones.
My goals this month are to find at least one thing each day to be thankful for, and to find a way of giving to someone, however small. For the latter, I’m joining the 30 Day Giving Challenge, a group of people encouraging each other to consciously give each day of November.
What about you? Will you join me in thanks and/or giving this November?